Thought of the day

I thank whatever gods may be / For my unconquerable soul. / I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul. ~William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Government's promises are like the Ringgit, they depreciate with time.



Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bukit Antarabangsa finally hit by the International Spotlight

The latest hooha in Bolehland - Bukit Antarabangsa, the Beverly Hills of Malaysia

I chanced upon this article while flipping through Lianhe Zaobao this morning and I am really depress with the authorities back in Malaysia.

Rescuers at the scene not helping those in mortal danger!

The husband of Eng Yee Peng, who perished in the landslide at Taman Bukit Mewah in Bukit Antarabangsa on Saturday, has alleged that the rescue team failed to respond positively when he sought their help to save his wife. Instead, he was given a hoe, and asked to dig and find his wife on his own when he sought help from the rescue team.

Some even took the opportunity to steal from the unfortunate.

This is what happens when we condone an alleged murderer to be our coming Premier. The rakyat becomes cold-blooded.

What makes me even furious is that our Minister for Housing and Local Government, Datuk Ong Ka Chua was slow to show up and express his concern for more than 24 hours after the landslide. (I personally think that DAP's Lim Kit Siang is more qualified for the post.) This is a huge contrast as compared to Singapore's PM Lee Hsien Loong from what I have observed during the recent Mumbai terrorist attack. During the terrorist outrage, PM Lee was at Santiago, Chile. Despite his absence in Singapore, somehow he was able to receive firsthand information about the attack and his immediate response was, "Were there any Singaporeans caught up in the attack?" I was touched by him. although he was unable to do anything to stop the tragedy, but it is really a great consolation to know that your leader has the citizens in mind all the time, that their safety are of sovereign importance.

I reposted his letter to the spouse of the victim here:

*****************************************

29 November 2008

Dear Mr Michael Stephen Puhaindran

I am deeply shocked and saddened by the loss of your wife, Ms Lo Hwei Yen. On behalf of all Singaporeans, please accept my deepest condolences to you and your family.

I first learnt about the terrorist attacks in Mumbai when I was in Santiago, Chile. My immediate concern was whether any Singaporeans were caught up in the situation. Many Singaporeans travel and work all over Asia. So I was sure a good number would have been in Mumbai when the attacks happened. As reports camein, we learnt that several Singaporeans were either in the vicinity of the attacks, or trapped in the Oberoi and Taj Mahal hotels. We also learnt from you that Hoei Yen had been taken hostage by the terrorists.

I knew that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had arranged for you to fly to Mumbai, and was in touch with the Indian government. I wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to express Singapore’s support and to offer our help to secure the safe release of the hostages. Tragically, despite the efforts of the Indian security forces, they could not rescue Hwei Yen.

This is the first time a Singaporean has been a victim of a terrorist attack. Terrorism is a threat that knows no boundaries. This is a family tragedy for you, but it also brings home to all of us thereality of this terrorist threat, and how important it is to keep up our guard and defeat it.

All Singaporeans feel for you and your family in this time of grief. Words will not count for much, but I hope the knowledge that you are in our thoughts, and have the sympathies of all of us willcomfort and support you at this dark and painful moment. The Singapore Government will do everything necessary to assist you and your family.

With deepest sympathies
Yours sincerely
Lee Hsien Loong

*****************************************

Isn't this the kind of government we are yearning for? You have the powers in your hand! Vote wisely.

No comments: