Thought of the day

I thank whatever gods may be / For my unconquerable soul. / I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul. ~William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Government's promises are like the Ringgit, they depreciate with time.



Friday, September 19, 2008

Not to be Racist or Anti-BN. Who's better? You JUDGE!

The political tsunami on 8 March 2008 didn't came by surprise, anti-government sentiments were so strong, you can smell it across the Causeway. Initially, I thought the rakyat just wanted to teach the coalition party (Barisan Nasional) a little lesson, but somehow overdid it. As the toothless tiger always mention in his blog, the rakyat did not opt for the Oppositions, but merely to reject the leadership of Abdullah Badawi's regime. I think otherwise. The moment YB Lim Guan Eng sworn in as the Chief Minister of Penang, deep down inside I knew, the Pearl Isle heralds better future.

And so when BN was beleaguered of a stupefying five states after the general election, the people in those states began to panic as to how well can the inexperienced govern the states. I personally had received chains of emails in attempt to frighten the public. Unshaken, I assured several Penangites and friends residing on the isle, "Don't worry, they will do much better."

The faith I had in the new state regime isn't baseless. I have been consistently keeping abreast on the course of political events in Malaysia, long before the 2008 general election. As such, the impression of the opposition figures, in particular from the DAP (Karpal Singh, Lim Kit Siang, Lim Guan Eng, Fong Po Kuan, Teresa Kok, Jeff Ooi, Boo Cheng Hau et al.) is ingrained in my mind. They are men/women with principles, men/women of their words; they dare to speak up for the rakyat, and they fight for a better Malaysia. Not for themselves.

While the BN (UMNO is particular) still has to rely on money politics to wire up our nation, the greenhorns in Penang have a way to achieve the same thing with near-zero cost. Uncreatively, the government awarded the high speed broadband (HSBB) network infrastructure contract to no other than TMNet. I still vividly remember the hassle I had to go thru with this government-linked company.

Brawns vs Brains? You choose.

Monopoly vs Free Market? You choose.

Action speaks louder than words.

See, the rakyat is not blind afterall.

No comments: