Thought of the day

I thank whatever gods may be / For my unconquerable soul. / I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul. ~William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Government's promises are like the Ringgit, they depreciate with time.



Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Unplug

May 3 is the official ShutDown Day. Whadya mean by shutdown? Meaning, you do not jump out of the bed and instantanously push the "ON" button of your PCs, laptops, PSs, Xboxes, Wii, Ipod or whatever gadgets this particular day. Unplug yourself, savvy? Instead, do something else, take a walk in the garden and see which bush you will end up by the end of the day. Easy, right? "How hard could that be?" or so I thought.

Ok, I attempted to unplug on May 3, but it's a Saturday for God's sake. With nothing much to distract me all day long, at 11.30am (woke up at 8am) I succumbed to the temptation of my PC on my study desk...(Initially I intended to complete the revision for my final paper.) Loser. Once I plugged and switched on my PC and Windows XP came into view on the monitor...click...click...there was no turning back. Welcome to the Dark Side.

On May 4, my second trial to unplug myself, which pathetically failed when I finally yielded at time 20:00 with the beep of my PC booting itself. You really can't blame me for surrending my soul so easily and when I was so close in accomplishing my mission with 4 more hours to go. What else can you do when you had tidied the room early in the morning and bathed, then spent the rest of the morning chit-chatting with landlord on current issues, savoured a plate of yummy-licious fried prawn mee for lunch, flipped through The Straits Times from page to page in my room (Mind you, the weekend edition is damn thick.), went for a jog in the evening and then dinner, bathed and flipped through the papers again???

May 5, another unsuccessful attempt when I returned to the lab in the evening after mugging in the library since morning. The progress of my revision was amazingly speedy without the distraction from the Discovery Channel or Youtube or Google... So after straining my brain for more than half of the day, don't I just deserve a serving of juicy blogs from my friends??? Heck, I do.

I will keep on trying, though I failed again today. (evidently, you are reading this post.) Despite my unsuccessful efforts, I wouldn't say those were unfruitful ones:) Try it, unplug yourself today and you will realize that you can achieve a whole lot more than just click, click and clicks.

2 comments:

gibson said...

same as u, i'm too reliance on pc.. maybe that's y u can see me on msn almost 24/7.. dude, let's set an unplug day each month for next sem. remind each other to unplug. :)

Gnu said...

Hey, where are you these days? Can't seem to see you in the lab der? You totally UNPLUGGED??!:p